Saturday, July 30, 2011

Last day of RAGBRAI

I'm on the bus riding home from RAGBRAI 2011. I had a great time and I have so many memories I can't wait to blog about.

Today my team had to meet at 2:30 to ride to the dip site together, so I got an early start and rode fast with a few of my teammates. We stopped for a fantastic lunch in Wilton, but other than that, we booked it to the river.


Davenport is one of those towns in Iowa that everyone should visit once, and it was even more special today because it seemed like everyone was cheering us on to the finish line. I thought at one point, this must be what it feels like to finish a marathon... But then I realized that a marathon lasts a few hours. This lasted seven days.


I have a huge feeling of accomplishment as I ride back home today. It was a hard week for me, and for many of the other riders I talked to. I asked one person if they thought anyone on the whole ride thought it was easy, and they replied, "Biking doesn't get easier, you only get faster.

I want to thank everyone in each town that greeted us like we were kings and queens. Community members that stood in the heat and humidity to serve us water and pie by the side of the road. You all made this, my 9th RAGBRAI, a memorable one.

No comments:

Post a Comment