Monday, July 25, 2011

RAGBRAI Day 2

First of all, I would like to give a little shout-out to my photographer, Roger. He has been a trouper dealing with spotty internet service and non-existent cell service. He even offered to bring me a salad today, because I can't handle another pork chop on a stick.
It was another hot hilly day. A few of my teammates took the Sag Wagon, and I'm not going to lie, I might very well be one of those sometime this week.
I've realized that the last 5 miles are the key to my success. Yesterday I was almost done with RAGBRAI all together. I was sitting in the shade without water and I had no clue where the campground was.
I had turned my map around and around. That's when I saw a little unassuming church with a sign that said, "Welcome RAGBRAI". I thought to myself, they at least have a water fountain. They did have a water fountain. They also had ice cold water, free pie and great conversation.
Today, the key to my success was a bomb pop in Willy. It hydrated me and inspired me to keep going. I made it the last 7 miles in record time and I busted it up the hills like Lance Armstrong.
Well, tomorrow is the Karras Loop, the option to do 100 miles. I will not be participating. I'll be luck to make it 70 some.

1 comment:

  1. What! Sick of pork chops on a stick!!! Better be careful or the state of Iowa will rebuke your residency.

    ReplyDelete