Friday, July 29, 2011

RAGBRAI Day 6

Sorry the blog is so late tonight. I got into camp pretty late myself and then took a shower and ate at the country club. I'm just packing my bags for the final time and mentally preparing to speed to the finish line.
Today we had a relatively flat morning with cool temps in the morning and some wicked sun in the afternoon. Since it was such a long day, most of the crowd was still out when it got shady again... Just in time for me to tackle some major hills about 20 miles outside of Coralville and on into town.
I rode most of the day with my new friend Barb who is on her first RAGBRAI. She rides with Team Cow and she wore horns and ears on her helmet. We encouraged each other and chatted along the route. At one point, about 40 miles in, I said, wow, you're really pushing me! And she said, I was just thinking the same about you! So we had been riding a little faster than either of us were comfortable with, but we had a good time chatting and lost track of the miles.
Once we got into the Amana Colonies area the landscape changed. Neither Barb nor I could quite put our finger on it, but it became very rustic, a little less corporate and landscaped. The scenery was incredible. It's definitely a place I want to visit again soon.
That's one of the best things about RAGBRAI. It gives Iowans, and out-of-towners a sneak peak at what an Iowa vacation would be like, without some hokey commercial.
Tomorrow is the last day, and I have to meet my team at 2:30 to dip the tires in the Mississippi. I'm worried I won't make it in time! Even on the shortest days I've gotten in around 3, and tomorrow isn't short... or flat. Wish me luck! And if you see me and my bike hitch-hiking from the east... Pick me up!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking us with you on your journey! I've enjoyed reading about your trip. Awesome job. I hope you make it by 2:30.

    ReplyDelete