Thursday, July 28, 2011

RAGBRAI Day 5

Day 5 was still hilly but it was short and cloudy. I got into camp pretty early and got to relax before dinner.
The one thing that's been on my mind all week is the camaraderie of RAGBRAI. The teams epitomize the support that everyone on RAGBRAI has for each other.
My team, Team Skunk, gathers each night to chat, and no less that 20 people ask me how my ride went each evening when I get in. When we see each other along the route we yell, SKUUUUUUUNK! The other day I yelled to some teammates along the road and a girl nearby said, "like a live one? ew..."
Another team that's stood out to me this year is the Air Force team. They wear identifying jerseys and are hardly ever riding solo. Whenever anyone is broken down alongside the route, there's always an Air Force guy there helping. One girl I talked to said her sister got three flats on the first day and an Air Force guy helped her every time. I mentioned that to an older Air Force teammate and he just said, "That's what we're here for!"
Another team that I came across is a Pie Bingo team and they have a bingo card that they fill out along the route. You can spot them on the route because they have giant slices of pie attached to the top of their helmets. They say the hardest pies to find are the cream pies.
I've yet to see a rider from Team Gumby... my nemesis. They are so lazy! (Or at least my 4-year-old self thought so...)
I have two more days on the road before I dip my tire in the Mississippi on Saturday!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on your final trek. I noticed your team name is 'Skunk.' What did you think of my town of Colfax that you came through, with the SKUNK river? I hope it was a good experience for you. I know I had a great time talking with riders, taking pictures and just enjoying the sights. Take care.

    ReplyDelete